Sunday 13 March 2011

Love food, hate waste!


Reading Jay Rayner in this month's Food Monthly, Observer, 13th March 2011, I find myself nodding and chuckling simultaneously. Is it the fabled Yiddish parsimony in our cultural DNA - I've just bagged and frozen a few  spoonfuls of barbecued pork sauce because it may come in useful - which continues despite a love of shellfish, pork and the unkosher mixing of milk and meat, or is it just an Everyman's love of food? You tell me.  Not just Shepherd's Pie, Scouse and Bubble & Squeak - so many dishes from around the world would not have seen the light of day if it weren't for leftovers and I, for one, abhor the Health & Hygiene regulations which saw an end to the constantly-bubbling stockpot in almost every catering kitchen. With no leftovers in my fridge at this precise moment, I think I'll have to go and create some.......