Friday 4 March 2011

Blue-rinse Gourmets who outlive their doctors.....

Interestingly, on the same day I wrote of my suspicions concerning the research into the amount of red meat it is now recommended adults limit themselves to, The New York Times published a heart-warming article on some maverick elderly gourmands who defy such nannying.
NY Times, 28th February 2011.
The writer of the piece, Henry Alford, does acknowldege: It’s the rare gourmand who, after 60 or so, doesn’t alter the way he or she eats, even in some tiny way. One praiseworthy exception, Larry Garfield, 95, of Key Biscayne, Fla., worked in the carpet industry until he was 83. Mr. Garfield, unchanged in his alimentary ways even though he’s had his gallbladder and prostate removed and had a quintuple bypass in 1992, said, not without satisfaction, “The main thing to understand about the people who have constantly warned me about what I eat is that I’m here and they’re not.”

That, for me, says it all.